Sunday, December 7, 2008
11/16/08
Mom and I have been reading a lot! Just getting the diagnosis from Bea and Darian, Noah's behavior seems to make so much more sense. He doesn't like certain noises = hairdryer, vacuum, coffee grinder... he immediately tells me to "turn off" or to "stop". I can only imagine what noises are setting him off during the day at Creme. Once he's set off, he becomes whiney, clingy and almost hyper active. He can't seem to sit still. It's almost like he's looking for a way to calm himself, so he goes from task to task, which only causes the cycle to intensify. I have found that getting down to his level, holding his shoulders and counting slowly and asking him to breathe seems to help. Singing also helps. (he really likes the Red song). It's hard to get him to calm down though in a very stimulating environments like the Halloween party. After only 30 minutes of being outside with everyone and everything (...fyi...my neighborhood went ALL out for Halloween... we had two bounce houses, a hay ride and a full blown haunted house that they built out in my garage...for those of you that don't know... I have a ridiculous 4 car garage) he asked to go inside and watch TV. It's hard to be at an "event" like that with him because you never know if he knows to stay close by... also, he doesn't have any concept of consequences (which I'm sure most 3 yr old don't...but I'll journal more on his 'lack of fear' later). The other thing is you don't know what will trigger and onset of 'over stimulation' & when an onset occures, he's not predictable and is likely to remove himself from the environment with no notice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment